I absolutely love Starbuck’s Cool Lime Refresher and when I saw FitSugar’s Green Tea Lime Cooler on Pinterest I know I had to jump on it. I love the idea of replacing my morning and afternoon coffees with tea instead. It gives you that same pick-me-up PLUS antioxidants MINUS all the sugar and creamer and jittery feeling and caffeine crash you get from coffee.
I was first introduced to yerba mate by some Argentines I worked with a long time ago. They drink it almost all day, loose leaf out of gourds with a metal straw. It contains twice as much caffeine as black tea, but half as much as a cup of coffee. This makes it perfect for me because regular green tea isn’t enough to get me moving in the morning, but coffee is almost too much. For more benefits of yerba mate click here.
4 cups of Green tea (yerba mate)
Juice from 1 lime
1-2 tsp sugar or agave nectar
Handful of ice
Quart-sized mason jars
- Boil water and steep tea for between 3-5 min, depending on the strength of the tea
- Add sweetener and lime juice and allow to cool
- Save tea in mason jars and allow to chill in the fridge. (I’ll usually make a quart the night before and leave it in the fridge to use on an as-needed basis)
- Throw some ice cubes and enjoy!
- A Yerba Mate Crash Course (mensjournal.com)
- Caffeine Without The Shakes – Best Sources Of Energy (hackcollege.com)
- Tea! (321irony.wordpress.com)