So I made these tonight by accident. We had a couple old, mushy bananas and saw the perfect opportunity to make banana nut bread. Unfortunately (or fortunately) after making the batter, I couldn’t for the life of me find a bread tin. We’re in the process of moving, so some of our cooking stuff is packed away. I did find, however, muffin tins and paper liners. (How that makes any sense I have no idea.)
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray (this will make clean up easier if any should rise over the paper lines and bake to the tin).
- Mix the dry ingredients together in one large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Divide batter into muffin tins using a small ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
*For a breakfast variation, add 1/2-1 cup of instant oatmeal or blueberries
*For a breakfast variation, add 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Best Oatmeal Raisin Chiquita Banana Muffins Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- How to Save a Dying Banana (brooklynlocavore.wordpress.com)
- Banana Brown Rice Muffins (grainmillwagon.com)